The DEA provides Worldwide Group Term Life Insurance coverage for every active member, their spouse/RDP and eligible dependents (certain limitations apply). The following applies to members with VH Dues Code and provides benefits no matter how or when death occurs.
8,000 Eligible Dependent Children - live birth to age 19 or 25 if full-time student*
Any member with an adult special needs child who is dependent upon them must call our plan administrator, Mechanic & Associates, to extend coverage.
Any member who is called to active military duty or who is on leave or off City Payroll for any reason must contact, Mechanic & Associates, to ensure continuity of coverage.
Life insurance coverage terminates when a member is no longer an active detective. Member, spouse and dependent child coverage can be converted to an individual lifetime insurance policy without evidence of insurability (NO health questions or medical exam). Conversion form(s) must be submitted within thirty-one (31) days after his or her life insurance ceases. Contact Mechanic & Associates for details.
DEA members can take advantage of convenient payroll deduction term life insurance. Term insurance is an excellent way to keep premium costs as low as possible. For your convenience payments are deducted directly from your paycheck. Download a Voluntary Kit.
If you have question, contact Judy at Mechanic & Associates. Plan highlights include:
• Ease of Payroll Deduction
• 5 Coverage Options available from $100,000 to $500,000 - spouse & dependent coverage available
• Step Rated Premiums start as low as $3.32 per paycheck for $100,000
• Newly Promoted Detectives - Guaranteed Coverage (enrollment form must be received within 60 days of promotion)
• Existing Members - Simplified Underwriting Options for members not already enrolled or for those who wish to increase their insurance
• Coverage can be continued into retirement through Pension Deduction
Members of the DEA can also take advantage of a comprehensive and complimentary retirement counseling service that is provided by our Life Insurance Consultants and Plan Administrator, Mechanic & Associates, Inc. Important topics of discussion include the pros and cons of pension loans, investment portfolio review and rebalance, review of pension options and the potential need for life insurance to protect your pension.
Insurance & Retirement Consultants
Mechanic & Associates, Inc
845-624-3800 or 516-280-6840